Shootaround update: Spurs at Pelicans
By: Jim Eichenhofer, Pelicans.com, @Jim_Eichenhofer
Updates from Monday morning’s shootaround at the New Orleans Arena:
• Tyreke Evans (left ankle) is listed as day-to-day by the Pelicans and his status is uncertain for Monday’s Southwest Division matchup. Ryan Anderson (herniated disc) and Jrue Holiday (stress fracture, right tibia) are both out. If Evans can’t play, New Orleans will again only have 11 players available, as it tries to end a five-game losing streak.
• On the Spurs’ side of the injury ledger, Tiago Splitter (sprained right shoulder) is listed as out. Also, guard Danny Green (sprained left index finger) did not travel with the team to New Orleans, remaining in San Antonio to have his hand examined. Manu Ginobili (tightness, left hamstring) traveled with the team and is listed as questionable for tonight’s game.
• Amid the recent spate of injuries, the Pelicans (15-21) received a much-needed day off Sunday, while San Antonio played at home Sunday evening and routed Minnesota. “We had a tough stretch of games for the past month and crazy travel,” Pelicans forward/center Anthony Davis said. “We definitely needed the rest. Some of our guys are a little banged up. (San Antonio) just played last night. We had a day off to kind of rest our bodies. So there’s no reason why we shouldn’t come out with a lot of energy, running the floor.”
• Davis, on the Pelicans’ approach to dealing with being without multiple key players as a result of injuries: “Just keep fighting. We’ve got to keep fighting. We know some games things aren’t going to go our way. It’s going to make us mature faster and grow up.”
• “Texas Week” for the Pelicans rolls on with the third of four consecutive games against teams from the Lone Star State.